I just want to say that you NEED to make this breakfast. Whether you are doing the January Whole30 or not, this Egg Scramble is amazing. Sundays are usually my days to sleep in…until 630am (we are usually up at 5am!) My favorite thing on weekends is to make fresh Bulletproof coffee and either lay in bed and read or sit on the couch and catch up on “my stories” as Eli likes to call them.
Usually Eli will want breakfast earlier than I do, so that gives me a little time to see what’s in the fridge, and what I’m able to come up with for a delicious brunch. There are what I call my staples, that I always keep stocked in our fridge. Vital Farms Eggs are always on hand as well as red and yellow onions, arugula, and some sort of chicken or pork sausage that are usually Whole30 compliant. I start with my base and see what kind of vegetables I have, then I move on to protein, fats, and starches.
Over the last few years, I’ve really learned how to cook vegetables so that they actually taste delicious….weird I know! I used to HATE vegetables…until I learned how to enhance the flavors with spices. Spices can transform any dish you make. That is what I LOVE about cooking. I can use the same ingredients three nights in a row and change up my spices and you would think I went grocery shopping every day in order to make each meal special-how amazing is that!
Sauteing galric in a little olive oil and adding some red onion is that base for this dish. Once that starts cooking, Hugo’s little snort face finds his way over to stand under me while I’m cooking on the stove with Eli not far behind asking how much longer until brunch is ready.
Once the onions are sweating, add the meat, some garlic powder, salt, and peppers. After watching Teri from @NOCRUMBSLEFT scramble her eggs in her VITAMIX, that is the only way I will prep my eggs now. They come out sooooo light and fluffy there is just absolutely nothing better. Once the eggs and sausage are cooked. I plate some argula and ta-da! That’s it. Super easy, clean, and delicious.
Whole30 Egg Scramble
- 2 Eggs
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 clove of garlic
- garlic powder
- 1 sweet potato
- Heat your cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add 2 table spooks of avocado oil. And ground sausage and brown for 5-8 minutes depending how crispy you like it.
- Add 2 table spoons of olive oil. Saute garlic and onions with sausage.
- chop of 1 sweet potato into little chunks. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and cook on medium high heat for 15 minutes or until soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- In a non stick skillet add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Crack two eggs in your Vitamix or blender. Blend on high for a minute. Pour eggs into skillet cook on low heat until they are the consistency that you like.
- In a bowl, put arugula on the bottom, top with eggs, sausage and sweet potatoes.